Due to the war in Ukraine, we express/voice our solidarity with friends and clients from across the eastern border.
We provide information as well as legal advice. All questions can be directed to this email address: email@example.com.
Below you will find the most important information regarding the crossing of the border and support organized in Poland.
CROSSING THE BORDER
1. If you have a biometric passport, you may cross the Polish border and legally reside in Poland for a period of 3 months every 6 months.
2. If you do not have a biometric passport but you do have an ordinary, valid passport as well as a valid visa, you may cross the Polish border. Citizens of Ukraine may also cross the border during the COVID epidemic.
3. If you do not have any passport, the only possibility of entry into Poland is by applying for international protection at the Polish border crossing point. Remember to bring with you another identity document and to clearly state that you are seeking refugee status in Poland during the questioning process at the border. Explain why you are fleeing Ukraine. If you have any documents or photographs which you think are important in making your case, show them to the border guards at that time.
4. If you have an ordinary passport (not biometric) and you do not have a visa, the only possibility of entry into Poland is by applying for international protection at the Polish border crossing point. Remember to clearly state that you are seeking refugee status in Poland during the questioning process at the border. Explain why you are fleeing Ukraine. If you have any documents for your case – bring them with you.
5. May you, as a citizen of Ukraine, enter Poland without a passport? Yes, there are two possibilities:
- Seeking international protection (refugee status) at the Polish border. Remember! If you submit such an application, in principle, you will not be able to work for the first 6 months. While awaiting the decision, you will not be able to leave Poland. In the case of not being granted refugee status, you will also not be able to seek a residence permit in Poland by reason of taking up employment or studies.
- Applying at the border crossing point for permission to enter Poland for no longer than 15 days despite lack of passport (art. 32 sec. 1 of the Foreigners Act). The decision on this matter will be made by the Chief Commander of the Border Guard. If you are granted permission of entry, you can later apply for a residence permit by reason of, for example, taking up employment or studies. Attention! We do not yet know what Poland’s policy will be like in terms of granting such approvals.
6. If you want to cross the border with a child, bring with you the child’s passport or his/her other identity document. If the child does not have such a document, try to bring with you at least the child’s birth certificate.
7. If a child is crossing the border with a person who is not his/her parent, it is necessary to have the parent’s permission for the child’s departure from Ukraine under the care of that person. It would be best if such permission was notarized, yet if that is not possible, it is good to have with you at least the parent’s written authorization. You can download a template for such authorization here.
8. If you want to cross the border with your pet, but you do not have for it a valid passport/microchip linked to the owner with a confirmation of a valid rabies vaccine, in this link you will find a temporary procedure for transporting pets from Ukraine to Poland by people who do not have a complete set of veterinary documents for dogs, cats and ferrets.
! Whenever possible, have with you any type of identity documentation.
SUPPORT IN POLAND
After crossing the Polish border, you can head to the nearest reception center. Addresses can be found in this link.
Legal, psychological, material, translation, integration support is provided by a number of organizations all over Poland; a list of such organizations along with a description of their specialization can be found in this link.
In addition to benefiting from organized help, support is provided by private persons. Any questions may be directed to the Facebook group Pomoc dla Ukrainy 🇺🇦 Допомога Україні: mieszkanie oraz inna pomoc obywatel [Help for Ukraine].
We are with you!