Below you will find the most important information regarding the crossing of the border and support organized in Poland.


  1. If you have a biometric passport, you may cross the Polish border and legally reside in Poland for a period of 3 months every 6 months based on visa-free traffic regulations.
  2. If you do not have a biometric passport but you do have an ordinary valid passport as well as a valid visa, you may cross the Polish border. Citizens of Ukraine may also cross the border during the COVID epidemic.
  3. If you have a foreign passport (ordinary or biometric) and a valid electronic document, you can cross the Polish border. Please note that the validity of this document depends on the UKR marking assigned to your PESEL number. This marking is changed if your stay outside Poland has extended over 1 month.
  4. As a citizen of Ukraine, can you enter Poland without a passport or with an ordinary passport without a valid visa/ electronic document? Yes, there are two ways to do so:
    1. Applying at the border crossing point for permission to enter Poland for no longer than 15 days despite lack of passport (art. 32 sec. 1 of the Foreigners Act). The decision on this matter will be made by the Chief Commander of the Border Guard. It is important to indicate during border control that you are fleeing the threat of war.
      The entry permit alone entitles you to stay on Polish territory for 15 days. However, if you meet specific conditions, you can enjoy legal residence under the Act on Assistance to Citizens of Ukraine in Connection with Armed Conflict on the Territory of Ukraine of March 12, 2022 (the so-called ‘Special Act’). If you are not covered by the above regulation, you should take immediate steps to legalize your stay beyond said 15 days by obtaining a residence permit in Poland, e.g. in connection with work or studies undertaken, or by applying for international protection.
      To learn more on the current residence situation of Ukrainian citizens who fled to Poland from the war in Ukraine, e.g. on who can benefit from the rights granted by the so-called Special Act,’ and what those rights are, click here.
    2. Applying for international protection (refugee status) at the Polish border. Stating one’s desire to apply for protection should in every case result in permission to enter Poland regardless of the documents held.
      Please be informed that submitting such an application involves certain consequences, e.g. you will not be able to leave Poland while awaiting a decision. If you are not granted refugee status, you will also not be able to seek a residence permit in Poland by reason of taking up employment or studies.
      If you meet the conditions for legal residence under the so-called ‘Special Act,’ you will be able to withdraw your application after entering Poland and enjoy the rights associated with said status.
      NOTE: If you have any doubts about your status before or after entering Poland, please write to us! The above description is limited to general information. There are many additional factors that may affect your individual situation.
  5. If you want to cross the border with a child, make sure to carry the child’s passport or his/her other identity document. If the child does not have such a document, try to at least bring the child’s birth certificate with you.
  6. If a child is crossing the border with a person who is not his/her parent, it is necessary to have the parent’s permission for the child’s departure from Ukraine under the care of that person. It would be best if such permission was notarized, yet if that is not possible, it is advisable to at least present the parent’s written permission authorizing you to escort the child across the border. You can download a template for such permission here.
  7. If you want to cross the border with your pet, but you do not have for it a valid passport/microchip linked to the owner with a confirmation of a valid rabies vaccine, click on this link to learn more about the temporary procedure for transporting pets from Ukraine to Poland by people who do not have a complete set of veterinary documents for dogs, cats and ferrets.

! Whenever possible, make sure to carry some form of ID.


Feel free to refer to our legal website for people fleeing Ukraine, where you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions:

We are with you!