The objectives of the project are:
- Watching the observance of prisoners’ rights, especially of prisoners belonging to special groups which are more susceptible to the risk of inhumane treatment.
- Enforcing the guarantee of prisoners’ protection in enforcement proceedings and before penitentiary, civil and administrative courts or authorities of enforcement proceedings, as well as strengthening the civil liability of prisoners by conducting test cases before penitentiary and civil courts.
- Monitoring, supporting and supplementing the function of the National Prevention Mechanism [hereinafter: NPM].
Under the project:
- we monitor the conditions of imprisonment and of treating prisoners, in particular by visiting penitentiary units and examining the prisoners’ complaints,
- we provide prisoners with legal advice in the scope of civil, family, criminal executory law, and then we identify test cases (which are important for achieving some positive changes and in forming good practices) and we conduct them before courts or agencies of executory proceedings,
- we monitor the organisation, method of operation and effects of work of the NPM and we support it in performing its preventive function by consulting methods and tools used in its work, preparing opinions, also expert opinions, supporting its recommendations, organising joint seminars and conferences.
We cover three components:
- Monitoring the conditions of imprisonment and of treating prisoners.
- Examining prisoners’ complaints.
- Monitoring the activities of the NPM and assisting it.
The project is financed by the Open Society Institute Budapest.
You can find more information on: watch.interwencjaprawna.pl