Association for Legal Intervention joined by Polish, Latvian and Lithuanian civil society organisations, has called on the European Commission to take immediate action to prevent further push- backs and deaths at the Belarussian borders. We believe the only way to prevent the unlawful activities towards asylum seekers and migrants which are being witnessed in Latvia, Lithuania and Poland is for the Commission to undertake decisive actions against the said violations. This is why we urge the Commission to:
– conduct a thorough investigation of the situation at the EU’s Eastern external border in terms of the compliance with EU law,
– publicly call on the Latvian, Lithuanian and Polish authorities to respect EU asylum law and the principle of non-refoulement,
– initiate infringement procedure against Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, for unlawfully restricting access to asylum procedure and the violation of the principle of non-refoulement,
– urge the Latvian, Lithuanian and Polish authorities to ensure access of Ombudsperson, human rights and humanitarian organizations to conduct independent monitoring of the border procedures and provide humanitarian assistance to irregular migrants on the EU external border,
– organise a meeting with civil society actors from Latvia, Lithuania and Poland in order to discuss the up-to-date situation on the EU external border.
To prevent further deterioration of the humanitarian situation on the EU external border and the blatant disregard for the Common European Asylum System, it is imperative for the Commission to act without delay.