Read it carefully:

  1. Answer a few questions and you will receive a short complaint to download to your device (phone, computer).  
  2. Print out the complaint, sign it and send it at the post office to the Head of the Office for Foreigners.
  3. Please note: you will receive an abbreviated form of your complaint from us – the letter may not contain all the arguments you may wish to raise in your case.
  4. After sending your complaint, carefully supplement it with additional explanations and documents which demonstrate what mistakes were made in your case. Consult a lawyer for this purpose. Find legal assistance

I understand, I would like to receive a complaint to the administrative court